A fire late Saturday afternoon claimed the lives of two cats and injured a pair of firefighters.

The fire broke out just after 4:30 p.m. in  single family bungalow on Macoun Place.

When crews arrived, heavy smoke was pouring out of the house.

Firefighters had the fire under control about an hour later.

Everyone was able to evacuate before crews arrived. However, two cats were located in the house. Firefighters attempted to resuscitate the animals but were unsuccessful.

Two firefighters sustained injuries at the scene. They were assessed by paramedics but did not require transport to hospital.

No damage estimates are available at this time.

The cause of the fire is believed to accidental, caused by unattended cooking.