The Chief Public Health Officer hopes to speak with religious leaders regarding changes to Public health Orders.
On December 11, the current Public Health Orders are set to end. These orders currently state places of worship cannot hold in-person worship services, excluding things such as baptisms and funerals which have a five-person maximum gathering size.
Drive-in services are also currently not permitted under the orders. A Winnipeg church recently took the province to court over the right to hold drive-in services and lost their appeal.
Dr. Brent Roussin hopes to meet with religious leaders before the new orders are announced.
"I would like that opportunity to have a discussion and just run by some of the thoughts with the new orders and to hear some concerns," he says. "That is something that I would like to do."
The province did not consult with religious leaders before making the call to halt in-person worship. Roussin previously said this is because the current orders are a circuit breaker intended to be in place for a short time to stop transmission.
While Roussin could not say what changes could be coming, he says Manitobans will not have to wait much longer to learn more. These changes are likely to be announced early this week.
"We are going to be announcing that in the near future so I will just leave the details to that time."
The doctor says public health does not advise people to take part in rallies and services where people can exit their vehicle, but instances with a low risk of people gathering outside their vehicles could soon be permitted.
"We will have these are orders and the details of these coming out early this week and then we can discuss where we are going forward."
Roussin could not say if the orders will last for two weeks, ending on December 25, or longer.
In the meantime, the doctor encourages people to worship virtually.
"Stay home unless it is absolutely essential for you to go."