Let the spring cleaning begin and put unwanted treasures at the end of driveways for Winnipeg's first curbside giveaway weekend of 2023.
The Spring Curbside Giveaway Weekend will take place on May 13-14, and it's a time when Winnipeggers give others the opportunity to bring home unwanted items that are still in good and working condition.
This allows for the lifespan of items to be extended and stay out of landfills for longer.
For those participating and leaving items at the end of their driveway, please take note of the following points:
- Place unwanted household items at the curb on the street
- Label each item with a "Free" sticker or sign
- Store items out of sight that aren't to be given away
- Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday
Read more in Community:
- CHVN recognizes local volunteers for National Volunteer Week
- Misericordia staff conducts Operation: Goose Rescue
- Wind-damaged tree turns into an angel by the hands of a local wood-carver
Here are some examples of items that can be given away:
- Books, CDs and DVDs
- Furniture, electronics and small appliances
- Sports equipment and toys
- Yard and Gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawnmowers, snow blowers, rakes, shovels)
- Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- Unwanted gifts
- Construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
Residents are being asked to once again NOT put out items that could be unsafe, infested with bed buys (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding), and toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more).
For those looking to find some new treasures, here are some things to know:
- Take only the items at the curb marked "Free"
- Check all items closely to ensure they are safe and in good condition before putting them in your vehicle or bringing them home
- Don't walk or drive on private lawns or gardens
- Don't discard any items on private property
- Obey traffic laws at all times (e.g., don't block traffic, park illegally, or block driveways with vehicles), drive safely and watch for children.