As if there isn't enough going on, it's a time of year when kids are finding creative ways to require attention.

Dr. Lynne Warda, Medical Director of the WRHA’s IMPACT injury prevention team, says kids come to hospital for injuries year-round, but they come in for some different things during the holiday season.

Dr. Warda has some tips to help avoid some hidden holiday hazards with young ones.

She says some of the unique hazards during this time relate to holiday decorations and wrapping. Tinsel, according to Dr. Warda, can be dangerous to both pets and kids. For children, it can get wound around their finger or toe and cut off circulation. She says some old-fashioned ornaments no longer available on the market contain lead, and old-fashioned bubble lights also contain a toxic substance.

For any gatherings, suggests having a designated person watching over young children.

"In my experience, scalds is one of the things that is just terrible that can happen at a party. So if you have hot cider or tea or coffee in an urn that has a spigot, it's very very easy for a child to walk up to that and then turn it on after they've seen the adults do it a couple times."

Some other tips from the WRHA injury prevention program include: buying a fire resistant Christmas tree and setting it up away from sources of heat, gifting toys that are age appropriate so there are no choking hazards, placing ornaments high up on the tree (and avoiding glass and lead ornaments entirely), placing child-proof barriers in front of fireplaces and stoves, and keep kids away from mistletoe and holly, both of which are poisonous. Magnets and batteries can also be hazardous.