Manitoba's Liberals are asking the province to help foot the bill if a resident needs sick leave for two or more weeks.

On Monday, the Government of Manitoba put forward an amendment in the legislature regarding paid sick leave. They hoped to amend the Employment Standards Code under Bill 44. Premier Brian Pallister says this amendment would follow the federal initiative and allow the province to adapt public health emergency leave provisions by regulation if needed as the pandemic evolves. 

“It’s critical for all Manitobans to stay home when feeling ill, and we must do everything we can to help employers and employees follow public health orders and measures in place to limit the spread of COVID-19.”

The amendment is in response to the federal government's CRSB. CRSB is a federal initiative that offers $500 per week for up to two weeks. Manitobans can also apply for the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit to give workers  $500 per week for up to 26 weeks to take time off to care for a family member.

Pallister said his bill would protect the jobs of workers more susceptible to COVID-19 if they take leave and apply for CRSB.

The bill was voted down by Manitoba's ss Liberal Party on Monday. The party's leader says that they want the provincial government to make a plan to pay for the leave.

"We want the provincial government to commit to stepping up and provide sick pay for people who are sick for two or more weeks, and who will not be covered by federal benefits," Liberal Party Leader Dougald Lamont tweets.

Wab Kinew, the leader of the NDP in Manitoba, tweeted his disagreement with the Liberal vote.

"Liberals just denied leave for Manitobans to get paid sick leave. . Huh?! . We’ve got to help people stay home when they’re sick."

Heading to Facebook, Lamont says that he wants to province to make a financial commitment to the leave program.

"We have said - since April, that the PCs need to step up and provide support on top of what the federal government is offering."

Manitobans are currently eligible to apply for CRSB and the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit from the federal government.