The Winnipeg Police Service arrested a 26-year-old Winnipeg man on Wednesday who was carrying a machete and sawed-off shotgun with him.
On Wednesday, November 23, 2022, at approximately 2:00 a.m., members of the West District were patrolling near Logan/McPhillips when they observed a male matching the description of a suspect from a recent radio broadcast.
The recent call for service was regarding a suspicious male in the nearby area trying the door handles of parked vehicles.
Officers identified the male and learned he had outstanding warrants. During a cursory search, a machete fell out of his clothing, and a sawed-off air gun and ammunition (incompatible with the gun) were seized.
26-year-old Maxim Dale Garneau of Winnipeg was charged with the following offences:
- Poss of a Weapon x 2
- Carrying Concealed Weapon Prohibited Device or Ammunition
- Poss of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order x 2
- Fail to Comply with Condition of Release Order x 5
- Warrant for Fail to Comply with Condition of Release Order x 2
- Warrant for Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized; Store Firearm or Restricted Weapon Contrary to Regs
He was detained in custody.
Regarding the initial suspicious incident, no theft or damage was reported.