After seeing thousands of Manitobans head back to work with a provincial program, the Premier is extending the subsidy another 60 days.
To convince people to stop using CERB and to go back to work, the province created a Back to Work wage subsidy program. Premier Brian Pallister says the province has seen great success from it, helping approximately 18,000 people get back to work so far.
Along with the extension, the Government of Manitoba is emphasizing that new businesses will be allowed to use the subsidy to hire employees.
"We know the best social program is not a program, it is a job," Pallister says. "We remain committed to getting more Manitobans back to work."
This program is in effect for employers who have hired people since July 16. Employers are eligible to revise up to $100,000 to subsidize 20 employees (up to $5,000 per employee).
Both private-sector and non-profits can apply.
Since its initiation, 4,500 positions have been filled, with the province receiving over 800 positions. The province says $22.6 million in supports have been distributed, so far. The Premier would not share how many more employers the province is expecting to aid.
Some of the top participating sectors include retail trade (16 per cent), agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12 per cent), and accommodation and food services (eight per cent).
The province says recent labour force statistics that show nearly 70 per cent of Manitobans who lost their jobs in March and April have been rehired. Pallister and Eichler confirmed the province’s commitment to getting even more employees back to work.
The Back to Work Manitoba Wage Subsidy application deadline is now Dec. 1. Employers will be required to provide proof of payment of wages by Feb. 1, 2021.