A big seizure in Dauphin this week is showing positive outcomes by a new Manitoba RCMP team.
The province's justice minister is impressed with results produced by Manitoba's RCMP Crime Reduction Enforcement Support Teams in the few short months since government invested in the initiative. November's $1.9 million investment saw two new officers added to the existing team in the north, and created two new teams in the RCMP's eastern and western districts.
"The results from across the province are impressive, and these enforcement efforts are making a difference in our communities," said Cliff Cullen.
According to statistics provided by the Province, these specialized teams have been involved in dozens of investigations which have led to criminal charges against 43 people and the seizure of more than $76,000 and 46 firearms. As well, more than 20 stolen vehicles have been recovered and, wherever possible, returned to their owners. Illicit drugs, primarily cocaine and methamphetamine, have also been seized and destroyed.
"It certainly sends a message to those doing criminal activity that we've got specialized folks on the ground to try and address these hotspots and quite frankly in a lot of cases, repeat offenders," added Cullen.
These teams work closely with local law enforcement to investigate criminals and their actions that threaten the safety of Manitoba communities.
"We are pleased to see that these teams are already having a significant impact on rural crime and have no doubt that they will continue to do so in the months and years to come," said Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy, Commanding Officer for the Manitoba RCMP.
The following is a summary of activities by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) crime reduction enforcement support teams from March 1 to July 16, 2020 as provided by the Province of Manitoba.
- Number of files (either as the lead agency or assisting): 26
- People arrested: 36
- People charged: 24
- Cash seized: $11,796 (Canadian)
- Drugs seized: 131.04 g of cocaine, 5.96 g of methamphetamine
- Weapons seized: 110, including 11 firearms
- Number of files: 18
- People arrested: 21
- People charged: 14
- Cash seized: $58,619
- Drugs seized: 188.77 g of cocaine, 144 rocks of crack cocaine, 809 g of methamphetamine
- Weapons seized: 13 firearms
- Vehicles recovered: 15 off-road vehicles, one vehicle
- Number of files: 16
- People arrested: 11
- People charged: 5
- Cash seized: $5,520
- Drugs seized: 1 oz of cocaine, 16 g of suspected cocaine, 14.5 g of methamphetamine
- Weapons seized: 22 firearms
- Vehicles recovered: seven vehicles, two trailers