Authorities say a brand-new unit targeting organized crime has made two busts in just over a month.
On July 18 in Rockwood, a municipality north of Winnipeg, RCMP's new Manitoba Organized Crime Unit (MOCU) executed a search warrant on a residence believed to be involved in a drug trafficking investigation.
The RCMP unit investigates criminal organizations and street gangs and received information that the residence contained stolen firearms.
When arriving, police discovered five stolen firearms, stolen property and methamphetamine.
After the search, authorities found and arrested Roy Mitchell Dziedzic on August 25.
The man is being charged with:
- Possession of Methamphetamine
- Unlawful Storage of Firearms x5
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearms
- Possession of Firearms Obtained by Crime x2
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime x3
RCMP say he has since been detained.
Weeks later, MOCU executed search warrants at two Winnipeg homes. On August 14, two residences associated with a female suspect were searched. Police say they found significant quantities of methamphetamine, cocaine, other suspected controlled substances. RCMP say there was extensive evidence of trafficking.
Jillian Elizabeth Joy Carter is being charged with:
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking methamphetamine
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking cocaine
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5000.
RCMP say this investigation is ongoing.