Unattended cooking is to blame in a house fire Monday that destroyed a home in Winnipeg's Southdale neighbourhood.

Just before 6 p.m. yesterday, Winnipeg fire crews responded to a single-storey home on Rockcliffe Road.

When they arrived at the scene, smoke was pouring out of the house. Crews quickly attacked the fire from inside the house, declaring the fire under control by 6:40 p.m.

Everyone who was home at the time self-evacuated before firefighters arrived. No injuries were reported. 

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service is reminding Winnipeggers to always stay in the kitchen while cooking, keep oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels and curtains away from the stovetop, heat oil slowly and never use water to put out an oil fire.

There is no word on a damage estimate at this time.