Six individuals are being arrested after evading police, possessing a firearm, and a large amount of cash and drugs in Grand Rapids.

On Sunday at roughly 6:10 p.m. a media release indicates that an officer with the North District Traffic Services unit witnessed a vehicle speeding on Highway 6, five kilometres south of Grand Rapids, and attempted to conduct a traffic stop but the suspect failed to comply and proceeded to drive northbound at a dangerous speed.

The vehicle was found abandoned within the community at a later time. Witnesses informed officers that six suspects left the vehicle in a parking lot, tried hiding items in the area and ran away.

While patrolling the area, the driver and three other suspects were found walking alongside the highway near a wooded area. It is said that the driver fled into the forest while the other three remained and were arrested. The second time the driver was found walking along the highway and was arrested without incident.

To find the other two suspects, the Grand Rapids RCMP sent out a drone and found them hiding in the ditch. They were located and arrested.

"A search of the gear left behind by the suspects near the abandoned vehicle led to the seizure of a handgun with two magazines, one of them being fully loaded; 898 grams of a substance believed to be cocaine; a large amount of cash; and drug-related paraphernalia," says the report.

19-year-old Malcom Lado of Winnipeg was the driver, he appeared in court this past Tuesday in The Pas on numerous offences, including:

  • Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle
  • Flight from Police
  • Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking
  • Possession of Proceeds of Crime
  • 10 Firearm-related charges

The other suspects, a 19-year-old male from Poplar River, a 27-year-old female from Norway House, a 23-year-old male and a 17-year-old male, both from Winnipeg, were released and are set to appear in court on October 21, 2022, in The Pas.

The sixth suspect, a 42-year-old male from Grand Rapids was released without charge.

Grand Rapids RCMP continues to investigate.