A North End home suffered significant damage after a pot of oil was left unattended on the stove over the weekend. 

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews responded to reports of a fire in a two storey, single-family home in the 800 block of College Avenue at 7:36 on April 20.

Once on scene, crews encountered heavy smoke and flames. They immediately launched an offensive attack, while also ensuring the fire hadn’t extended to neighbouring homes.

The fire was declared under control at 8:14 p.m. The house suffered significant fire, smoke and water damage. Neither of the neighbouring homes suffered damage.

All occupants of the home safely evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to an unattended pot of oil on the stove.

Safety reminders

The WFPS says that people should never leave the kitchen while cooking. If they do need to leave then stove burners should be turned off, even if leaving for a short time. Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — should always be kept away from the stovetop. If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.