The Winnipeg Fire and Paramedic Services were kept busy with two fires on opposite ends of the city.

The first fire was reported at 9:17 p.m. on Wednesday, April 26 because of a monitored fire alarm in a 10-storey high-rise in the 100 block of Niakwa Road.

Upon arrival, crews were met with heavy smoke in the building and found the source to be a fire in the kitchen of one of the suites. The first was under control at 9:43 p.m. The single suite contained the only reported damage.

No damage estimates are available at this time. Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental. Residents are reminded of the following safety tips to reduce the risk of kitchen fires:

  • Always stay in the kitchen while cooking.
  • Oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains should be kept away from the stovetop.
  • Oil should be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the top with a metal lid.
  • Never use water to put out an oil fire.

The second fire happened at 10:54 p.m. on Wednesday, April 26, 2023, the WFPS responded to reports of a fire in a single-family bungalow in the 200 block of Woodlawn Street.

When crews arrived at the scene, they found smoke in the house. They investigated and found a fire involving a clothes dryer. The fire was declared under control at 11:07 p.m.

All occupants of the house safely self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. No injuries were reported.

Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by a malfunction in the operation of a clothes dryer. The risk of these types of fires can be reduced by following these important tips:

  • Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in good working order.
  • Do not use the dryer without a lint filter and always clean the filter after each load of laundry.
  • Periodically check the venting system to ensure there is no lint buildup and it is not damaged, crushed, or restricted.
  • Make sure the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is running.
  • Never leave a dryer running when leaving your home.