The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service says it believes an unattended candle sparked a fire in a home over the weekend.

At 2:18 p.m. on Saturday, September 9, 2023, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey house in the 500 block of Bannatyne Avenue.

At the scene, firefighters saw smoke in the house. Firefighters attacked the fire from the inside, declaring the fire under control at 2:35 p.m.

All occupants safely self-evacuated before crews arrived. No injuries were reported.

No damage estimates are available. Preliminary observations suggest the cause of the fire was accidental and related to an unattended candle.

The WFPS says that to avoid a fire, follow these tips:

  • Never leave lit candles unattended. Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Keep candles at least one foot away from anything that can catch on fire.
  • Never leave a child alone in a room with a lit candle.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and do not tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, non-slip surface.
  • Avoid burning candles in drafty areas
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and clothing away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down. Put it out before it gets within two inches of its holder or base.
  • Trim wicks to half an inch and remove extra wax before storage. Long, crooked wicks can cause uneven burning and drippings.
  • Don’t throw out candles in the trash until the wax has hardened and the wick is not hot.
  • Keep matches, lighters, and lit candles out of the reach of children.