Careless cooking is to blame for a weekend fire in the city's St. John's neighbourhood. 

Shortly after 1 p.m. on Sunday, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service was called to a two-storey multi-family building in the 400 block of Cathedral Avenue for reports of a fire. 

When firefighters arrived at the scene, smoke was pouring out of the building. Crews fought the fire from inside the home, declaring it under control about a half hour later.

Firefighters evacuated four residents. One person was assessed at the scene. No other injuries were reported. 

Fire officials say the fire was accidental, caused by careless cooking.