The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service is reminding Winnipeggers to be cautious while cooking after a fire Tuesday afternoon claimed the life of a family pet. 

Just after 4:20 p.m. on Tuesday, a fire broke out in a three-storey apartment complex in the 700 block of Tache Avenue. 

When crews arrived, they found smoke in the hallways. They quickly determined which suite the fire was in and knocked it out. 

One person was assessed at the scene but did not require a trip to the hospital. However, a search of the suite led firefighters to discover a dog deceased. 

It is believed the fire was accidental, caused by unattended cooking.