Many residents are excited about the return of Manitoba Hydro's Santa Claus Parade, however, motorists should beware of major road closures.
The parade begins at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 19, and the block parties begin at 2:00 p.m., yet road closures begin earlier in the day.
With the route being different from past years, this means that there are new route closures as well.
- Southbound Main Street, from Portage Avenue to York Avenue – 8 a.m.
- Portage Avenue, in both directions from Main Street to Memorial Boulevard – 11 a.m.
- Northbound Fort Street, from St. Mary Avenue to Portage Avenue – 11 a.m.
- Memorial Boulevard, between Portage Avenue and Broadway – 11 a.m.
- Eastbound York Avenue, from Kennedy Street to Fort Street – 11 a.m.
- Edmonton Street, between Portage Avenue and Graham Avenue – 11 a.m.
- Vaughan Street, between Portage Avenue and Graham Avenue – 11 a.m.
The City of Winnipeg is also warning motorists of other road impacts.
- All other north-south streets between Main Street and Memorial Boulevard will be local and parkade access only between Ellice Avenue and Broadway
- Broadway, Memorial Boulevard, and northbound Main Street will remain open throughout the day but are anticipated to be high-traffic areas
- Many turns and other travel restrictions will be in place on Ellice Avenue, York Avenue, Broadway, and Portage Avenue east of Main Street
Road closures are expected to be lifted by approximately 5:00 p.m., after the parade.
Transit will be rerouted during the closures. Follow @TransitAlerts on Twitter for details and updates.
Motorists are advised to allow additional travel time to use alternate routes to their destinations while the closures are in effect, and download the Waze app in advance and use it for real-time traffic updates.
For regular updates on City of Winnipeg lane closures and to view lane closures on an interactive map, please visit City of Winnipeg - Regional Lane Closures.