Winnipeg fire crews were kept busy Wednesday battling a pair of residential fires.

The first blaze broke out just after 12:30 p.m. in a four-storey apartment complex in the 1100 block of St. Annes Road. 

Smoke could be seen coming from the building when crews arrived at the scene. Firefighters quickly located the fire in one of the suites. It had been kept under control by the building's sprinkler system, and crews were able to quickly extinguish the remaining hot spots.

No injuries were reported, and most residents were able to return to their suites once crews finished their work. Three suites of displaced residents were assisted by the City of Winnipeg's Emergency Social Services team in finding temporary accommodations.

The fire is believed to be accidental, caused by the improper use of incense. 

Damage estimates are not available at this time. 

Meanwhile, a second fire broke out just after 7 p.m. in a two-storey home on Morning Glory Crescent.

Heavy smoke was seen pouring out of the home when crews arrived. Firefighters attacked the fire from inside the home, quickly declaring the fire under control.

All occupants of the house safely self-evacuated before the arrival of crews. One individual was assessed by on-scene paramedics but was not transported to hospital. No other injuries were reported.  

Fire officials say the fire was accidental, resulting from unsafe use of a portable space heater.