The City of Winnipeg has announced the next upcoming Giveaway Weekend and residents are searching for items to clear up some space in their homes.
From September 10 to 11 Winnipeggers can participate in putting out items in good condition that they no longer use, or searching the city for a new hidden treasure to add to their collection.
If residents plan on giving away items, here are some tips:
- Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
- Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
- Stor items out of sigh that you don't want to give away.
- Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
Here are some examples of possible giveaway items:
- Books, CDs, and DVDs.
- Furniture, electronics, and small appliances.
- Sports equipment and toys.
- Yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow blowers, rakes and shovels).
- Kitchen gadets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans.
- Unwanted gifts.
- Construction material (e.g., nails, paint and wood).
The City is advising the public to not put out the following items:
- Items that could be unsafe.
- Items infested with bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, and bedding).
- Toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres of more).
For those cruising the streets looking for treasures, here are some tips:
- Take only the items at the curb marked "FREE."
- Check all items closely to ensure they are safe and in good condition before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home.
- Don't walk or drive on private lawns or gardens.
- Don't discard any items on private property.
- Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don't block traffic, park illegally, or block driveways with your vehicle), drive safely and watch out for children.
For more information on the giveaway weekend, contact 311 or visit the City's website.