One person is in hospital following a fire Thursday evening in a West Broadway apartment complex. 

The fire broke out just before 10:30 p.m. in a four-storey apartment building in the 200 block of Colony Street. 

Smoke was coming from the apartment when crews arrived. Firefighters were able to enter the building and fight the flames from inside, declaring it under control just before 11 p.m.

Firefighters found one person inside the building. They were transported to hospital in critical condition. No other injuries were reported.  

A Winnipeg Transit bus was called to the scene to shelter displaced residents. 

Most of the damage was contained to the suite where the fire started. 

Fire officials believe the blaze was accidental, caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials.